If you want to be successful in the world of marketing, it is important that you know how to measure and analyze to improve your campaigns. This is essential to know the positive and negative results that your strategy is having.
The measurement and analysis of a marketing action will allow you to have knowledge about the economic return on investment. This in turn will be of great help to optimize your strategy and obtain greater profitability. It is okay to spend a lot of effort and time creating the campaign, but you need to study the results to determine if they are as expected .
Many times, when a campaign fails, the reason is because proper monitoring is not done, thus wasting opportunities. Executing marketing actions without measuring and analyzing to improve your campaigns can render the planned strategy ineffective. On the contrary, if you carry out this measurement you will know what to focus on.
Benefits of measuring results
It is essential that you discover what are all those positive factors that comes with measuring and analyzing to improve your campaigns. Without a doubt, there are many benefits that this will bring to your company or brand. Below, you can see some of the most relevant:
- It allows you to know from which channels customers are coming to your business. This delves into organic searches ( SEO ), search engine advertising ( SEM ), social networks, the media, among other channels.
- You will be able to know the behavior of users on your website. In addition, you will see the scope of all your content.
- There is the possibility of evaluating the reach you have had in a new audience that perhaps was not the one raised in your objectives. In short, you can reach a larger audience than the established one.
- It is a great support in making investment decisions . For example, you could increase it in those aspects that are profitable or decrease it in what is not giving the expected results.
- If you analyze the results while the campaign is in process, you will have the opportunity to correct or modify possible errors .
- All the information collected will be useful to design future campaigns and make them more profitable for your company.
Types of metrics for marketing
To effectively measure and analyze to improve your campaigns, it is necessary to apply metrics. They are those that through numerical values show the performance of an action, a strategy or the marketing area in general. Multiple metrics are required to get specific results. Therefore, below you will know some of them:
- General or area metrics: These focus on the relationship between organizational effort and investment. For example, those related to customer acquisition .
- Campaign metrics: With this you can measure the behavior of the target audience focused on a particular campaign. In addition, measurement in both lead acquisition and effective sales.
- Product metrics : This type of metric tells you what the popularity level of a certain product is. Also, its characteristics in relation to the competition.
- Digital metrics: Allows you to measure your presence on the Internet. Also the acquisition of followers. As if that were not enough, you will be able to know the times they are looking for your brand, and the level of interactions and conversion.
Discover how to measure and analyze to improve your campaigns
Surely now you are wondering how you can measure and analyze to improve your campaigns. You already know the benefits that this brings and the types of metrics you can use, but it is time to go deeper into this process.
So take note of everything you need to know about the measurement and analysis of the results of your marketing actions, and what are the best tools to facilitate this work:
The first thing you should know is that there are a variety of tools that can help you carry out this evaluation. It is only a matter of selecting the one that you consider best suits you. Below, you can see the most demanded by marketing experts.
Although an alternative is to use your own tools, developed ad hoc. That is, for a specific purpose. This is a way for the Business Intelligence Department to get the most out of reports such as emailing openings, analysis of browsing behavior of amail Marketing, Twitter hashtag activity, engagement on social networks, among others.
Digital measurement tools
Another option is to use online tools that can be free or paid. These are specifically designed to perform analysis, monitoring, reporting, and management of social networks . They will help you measure and analyze to improve your campaigns, it will also be a relevant factor to take into account in your next actions.
Among the most outstanding ones aimed at web analytics, you will find Google Analytics . With it you can find out how users get to your website, how they navigate through it and how they become customers .
It is essential that you add custom parameters to the url to collect the data in your communications by email, SMS, QR codes, banners, CPC announcements from Facebook or Linkedin…. In this way you can track your campaigns.
On the other hand, there are the reporting tools that will help you with measurement and analysis on your social profiles. Among the most recommended are Facebook Insights or Twitter Analytics . But if you want to know the virality of your urls or the competition, and how many times a link has been shared on Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin, you can use Linktally.
What is measured and analyzed?
You have already been able to see superficially what can be measured and analyzed but it is necessary to go one step further. The idea is that you are very clear about the steps you have to follow to achieve success in your campaigns. For this reason, the determining aspects will be presented when carrying out these evaluations:
- Conversion rate: Analyzing this factor will help you determine if one of your primary objectives is being met . The conversion translates into a new potential customer who will build loyalty with your brand. With Google Analytics you can set your goals to obtain the data of the conversions that interest you.
- Bounce rate: This is a negative figure that should be paid close attention. This implies that a certain number of users have left your website having visited a single page. There would be an exception if it is a landing page, since there is no way to visit other sections.
- Landing and exit pages: In this case, you can use Google Analytics to find out through which pages your visitors arrive at the website and on which pages they leave it.
- Traffic source: Other information of great importance is the traffic source . It allows you to know data about the channels through which a user has reached your website. This means that you can find out if they did it through search engines, social networks, among others.
- Average session duration: Being aware of the average time a user spends on your website gives you the possibility to know the impact of your campaign or content.
- Impressions: It is nothing more and nothing less than the metric that gives you information about the times your action was shown.
Relevant aspects to evaluate
There are a number of aspects that must be evaluated when carrying out the measurement and analysis of your campaigns . It is essential to take them into account to correct or modify those that do not generate the expected result. These are divided into two:
1.- Quantitative aspects
Quantitative aspects focus on measuring the performance of digital strategies. Therefore, you should take into account the following:
- Check if the target audience remembers the message and your brand.
- Evaluates the readability of the message, that is, whether it is clear to the consumer.
- Determine any distortion in the message and identify what the audience does understand.
- Evaluate the way you handle your message in relation to the competition.
- Check that your message does not minimize your brand, if this happens, you have to modify the campaign.
2.- Qualitative aspects
When speaking of qualitative aspects, reference is made to the analysis of the tastes and preferences of users. Next, you will see which ones you should take into account when evaluating:
- Public opinion about the brand after having seen your campaign.
- Brand recognition, especially if it is not recognized.
- Positioning that your campaign has before that of your competitors, but not on the web, but in the mind of your audience.
- How the user interacts with the campaign, that is, through which pages it reaches your website.
- Emotions and feelings towards your brand from the audience.
Now that you know everything about measuring and analyzing to improve your campaigns, you have no excuses not to do it.
But, if you need help, at Antevenio we are specialists in Performance Marketing who have the ability to understand your goals, putting at your service the skills and technology necessary to achieve them.